The number of persons in Uganda qualified to study Civil and Building Engineering has increased over the years. Many high school leavers with good grades have not been absorbed in the existing Universities due to limited vacancies. Further, the programmes that have been offered in the country have not adequately addressed the needs of the construction industry. The Bachelor of Civil and Building Engineering has been designed to address the above and enhance Uganda’s modernisation.
The targeted group includes holders of:
- Advanced Level Certificate of Education;
- Diplomas in Engineering and other related Science and Technology fields;
- Degrees in the Science disciplines.
The objectives of the programme are to:
- Produce graduate engineers who are well equipped in theoretical and practical technical skills to manage the construction industry;
- Train people who will be able to advance in higher education, research and development;
- Train personnel to work in government and private institutions;
- Train personnel who will conserve the environment and maintain public health.
Admission to the Bachelor of Civil and Building Engineering shall be done in accordance with the Kyambogo University procedures and regulations.
In addition, a candidate shall be eligible for admission to the programme on meeting any of the following minimum qualifications:
(a) At least Two Principal Passes in Physics and Mathematics obtained at the same sitting of the Advanced Level Examinations or its equivalent. For purposes of computing entry points, the advanced level subjects shall be classified as follows:
Essential – Physics and any one of Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics
Relevant – Chemistry, Economics, Technical Drawing, Applied or Pure Mathematics
Desirable – General Paper, Any other technical subject
(b) At least a Diploma from a recognised institution in any of the following fields:
- Building and Civil Engineering, Water Engineering, Architectural Draughtsmanship or a related field,
- Science Technology (Physics or Chemistry), Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Ceramics, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Electrical Engineering,
- Any other Engineering field as approved by the Kyambogo University Senate;
(c) Bachelor’s degree in Science disciplines;
(d) Through Mature Entry Scheme.
Duration of the Programme
The Bachelor of Civil and Building Engineering is a full time day, evening and weekend programme of duration of eight semesters with Industrial Training. However:
(a) holders of Diplomas in (b) (i) as the Department shall determine may join directly into second year and take six semesters;
(b) holders of Higher Diplomas in a relevant field as the Department shall determine may join directly into third year and take four semesters;
(c) Holders of Bachelor of Vocation in Technological Studies with Education (Construction option) as the Department shall determine may join in third year and take four semesters.
The entry point of holders of relevant diplomas or other qualifications not in the above categories shall be determined according to the level of that qualification.
Each academic year up to third year shall consist of two (2) semesters and a recess term for Industrial Training. The fourth year shall consist of two (2) semesters only. Each semester shall consist of seventeen (17) weeks: fifteen (15) weeks of teaching and two (2) weeks of examination. Each recess term shall be ten (10) weeks.
One contact hour (CH) shall be equivalent to one (1) lecture/tutorial hour (L) or two (2) practical/laboratory hours (P) or eight (8) hours of Industrial Training. A series of fifteen (15) contact hours shall be equivalent to one credit unit (CU).
A course shall have a minimum load of one credit unit and a maximum of five (5) credit units. The minimum semester load shall be fifteen (15) credit units and the maximum semester load shall be twenty eight (28) credit units.
By the end of the programme, learners should be able to:
- Explain the theoretical and practical aspects of Construction Technology;
- Plan, design, tender for and execute Construction projects by working for and with other partners or by self-employment;
- Manage construction projects;
- Carry out research and innovation in Engineering and related fields;
- Impart the acquired knowledge and skills to other interested persons.